Error / Incident
There's a large amount of cloudvirt nodes down in the system.
This will have an effect on the capabilities of Openstack to schedule and run VMs by limiting the resources available. Possibly preventing new VMs from getting started and some running VMs to misbehave or not function.
This might be the result of an ongoing intervention gone wrong, so first try to communicate with the rest of the team and look for any ongoing actions:
- Ask on irc (#wikimedia-cloud-admin) if someone is taking any action and forgot about it
- Check SAL (or here) for host being rebooted/taken down
- Check Netbox to make sure the host is not being decommed or network changes were not applied
- Check puppet for recent changes that might have affected the node
Then you can continue trying to figure out why the hosts are going down and not coming back up:
- Try to ssh to the host
- Try to ssh to the management port (see SRE/Dc-operations/Hardware_Troubleshooting_Runbook)
Add here any issues you encounter.
Communication and support
Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia Movement volunteers. Please reach out with questions and join the conversation:
- Chat in real time in the IRC channel #wikimedia-cloud connect, the bridged Telegram group, or the bridged Mattermost channel
- Discuss via email after you subscribed to the cloud@ mailing list
Provide a list of phabricator tasks of previous incidents to be able to more review previous instances of the issue.