Error / Incident
All the cloudgw nodes are down in the system.
Cloudgw nodes are the ones acting as routers to (and from) the external world for VMs.
When they go down all the VMs stop having network access to external networks and from external networks.
This might be the result of an ongoing intervention gone wrong, so first try to communicate with the rest of the team and look for any ongoing actions:
- Ask on irc (#wikimedia-cloud-admin) if someone is taking any action and forgot about it
- Check SAL (or here) for host being rebooted/taken down
- Check Netbox to make sure the host is not being decommed or network changes were not applied
- Check puppet for recent changes that might have affected the node
Then you can continue trying to figure out why the hosts are going down and not coming back up:
- Try to ssh to the host
- Try to ssh to the management port (see SRE/Dc-operations/Hardware_Troubleshooting_Runbook)
Might be interesting also to run the network tests:
Add here any issues you encounter.
- SAL (or here).
- Puppet merged changes
Communication and support
Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia movement volunteers. Please reach out with questions and join the conversation:
Provide a list of phabricator tasks of previous incidents to be able to more review previous instances of the issue.