Welcome to Wikimedia Labs help pages
This is help for Wikimedia Labs. Documentation pages are listed below. If you want to improve any of the help pages, please do that.
Requesting shell access
All new Labs accounts automatically receive shell access when they are added to their first project.
Requesting a new project
You can request a new project by creating a Phabricator task as a subtask under New Labs project requests.
- Help:Access - contains information on how to access lab instances
- Help:Addresses - contains information how to assign an ip addresses and a dns name to your instance
- Help:Instances - contains information how to create, remove and modify instances on labs
- Help:Proxy - contains information how to create web proxies for instances
- Help:Security - contains information about security groups and firewall settings
- Help:SSH - contains information about management of your public keys
- Help:Sudo Policies - contains information about how to configure sudo policies on projects
Git and gerrit
Git is a guide for git repository of puppet.
Puppetization, packaging, and moving to production
- Development recommendations for easily moving to production
- Packaging software
- Aptly: A guide to setting up a local debian repo for installing your own .deb packages within a labs project
Basic instance configurations
If you are baffled by the instance configuration page, here are instructions for setting up a few basic instance types.
- MediaWiki-Vagrant in Labs if you're used to mw:MediaWiki-Vagrant
- Self-modifying puppetmaster for Puppet development
- Hosting a salt master for Salt development
- Quick LAMP instance
- Disabling an account
- Logout all users
- Suspending instances
- Using nova-manage
- More general OpenStack docs
- To grant a user shell access, you'll need to:
- Add them to the shell group in MediaWiki; this will automatically add them to the bastion project