Welcome to Wikimedia Labs help pages
This is help for Wikimedia Labs. Documentation pages are listed below. If you want to improve any of the help pages, please do that.
Requesting Shell Access
All new labs accounts automatically file a request for shell access. WMF staff periodically review and process these requests. Human approval is required in order to prevent the proliferation of sock puppets, spambots, etc.
For the current status of your request, consult these pages:
Requesting A New Project
- Help:Access - contains information on how to access lab instances
- Help:Addresses - contains information how to assign an ip addresses and a dns name to your instance
- Help:Instances - contains information how to create, remove and modify instances on labs
- Help:Proxy - contains information how to create web proxies for instances
- Help:Security - contains information about security groups and firewall settings
- Help:SSH - contains information about management of your public keys
- Help:Sudo Policies - contains information about how to configure sudo policies on projects
Git and gerrit
Git is a guide for git repository of puppet.
Puppetization, packaging, and moving to production
- Development recommendations for easily moving to production
- Packaging software
- Using debs in labs: A guide to setting up a local debian repo for installing your own .deb packages within a labs project
Basic instance configurations
If you are baffled by the instance configuration page, here are instructions for setting up a few basic instance types.
- Single-instance Mediawiki host
- Self-modifying puppetmaster for Puppet development
- Quick LAMP instance
- Disabling an account
- Logout all users
- Suspending instances
- Using nova-manage
- More general OpenStack docs
- To grant a user shell access, you'll need to:
- Add them to the shell group in MediaWiki; this will automatically add them to the bastion project
- Labs datacenter migration plan