Help:Create a Wikimedia developer account
This page explains how to create a Wikimedia developer account. If you plan to access, use, or make contributions via protected services, you need a Wikimedia developer account in addition to a Wikimedia global account.
Some of the protected services that require both a Wikimedia developer account and a Wikimedia global account include:
Step 1: Create a Wikimedia global account
- Create a Wikimedia global account.
Step 2: Decide which service you need a Wikimedia developer account for
- Toolforge users should follow this process to create Wikimedia developer accounts.
- VPS and general users should follow this process to create Wikimedia developer accounts.
Toolforge users should follow this process to create Wikimedia developer accounts.
VPS and General Users
Create a Wikimedia developer account
- Go to the Wikimedia developer account creation page, and fill in the fields.
- The LDAP username will be used to log in on Wikitech, Gerrit and the Toolforge admin console. Consider that this username will be used in some systems like Gitlab as your displayed name, so you may want this to be your full name. You will not be able to change this later!
- The UNIX shell username will be used to interact with servers via ssh and for git with Gerrit.
- Create your Wikimedia developer account.
Communication and support
Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia movement volunteers. Please reach out with questions and join the conversation: