Typical numbers as of September 2021:
- 198 code repositories (mediawiki/core, mediawiki/vendor, 188 MW extensions, and 8 MW skins).
- 978 wikis.
- between 150 and 1000 patches since the last train.
- Find the currently deployed branch/version of a wiki at https://versions.toolforge.org/
- Train blocker task: https://train-blockers.toolforge.org/
See also MediaWiki 1.42/Roadmap on mediawiki.org
NOTE: The mention of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the diagram are for the following week, not the week the patch was merged in. So, after 10 mins of the patch merged, it goes live on beta for people to test things an make sure to catch bugs in case there are any.
Assuming everything goes well, the changes that got merged during a particular week only ride the train the week after fron Tuesday to group0, Wednesday to group1 and Thursday to group2.
|Deploy to group 0||Deploy to group 1||Deploy to group 2|
Each Tuesday a Release Engineering team member cuts a new branch of all 198 repositories in a Wikimedia Production deployment. The branch is always prefixed with
wmf/ and then a version number. For example:
The train conductor deploys that to Group0 wikis (see). This group includes:
- www.mediawiki.org (
- test.wikipedia.org (
- test.wikidata.org (
- office.wikimedia.org (
- all closed wikis
On Wednesday Release Engineering leads a log triage session to find and file any new errors.
Following the log triage, the train conductor for the week makes a go/no-go decision to deploy to Group1 wikis.
Group1 is non-Wikipedias, see.
- www.wikidata.org (
- *.wiktionary.org (all Wiktionary sites)
- *.wikisource.org (all Wikisource sites)
- *.wikinews.org (all Wikinews sites)
- *.wikibooks.org (all Wikibooks sites)
- *.wikiquote.org (all Wikiquote sites)
- *.wikivoyage.org (all Wikivoyage sites)
- *.wikiversity.org (all Wikiversity sites)
- commons.wikimedia.org (Wikimedia Commons)
- meta.wikimedia.org (Meta-Wiki)
- incubator.wikimedia.org (Incubator)
- ca.wikipedia.org (Catalan Wikipedia)
- he.wikipedia.org (Hebrew Wikipedia)
- it.wikipedia.org (Italian Wikipedia)
- test2.wikipedia.org (
- wikifunctions.org (
- and others…
If no blockers are found, the train conductor pushes code to all other Wikipedias, see.
Group2 includes en.wikipedia.org (English Wikipedia).