Please read the Wikimedia Cloud Services introduction first.
To participate with Cloud VPS, you will need a Wikimedia Developer Account.
This page contains information about Cloud VPS and links to developer documentation.
Cloud VPS Documentation
About Cloud VPS
Cloud VPS (Virtual Private Server) provides a cloud computing infrastructure powered by OpenStack for projects related to the Wikimedia movement. The environment includes access to a variety of data services. Cloud VPS is meant to make it easier for developers and system administrators to try out improvements to Wikimedia infrastructure (including MediaWiki), power research and analytics, and host projects that are not viable in the Toolforge environment.
At the moment Debian is the only available operating system since it's a reliable and stable GNU/Linux distribution.
Virtual machines running on Cloud VPS are subject to the instance lifecycle.
Cloud VPS developer documentation
See Cloud VPS help for more technical documentation related to Cloud VPS.
Terms and conditions
You must review and agree to our terms and conditions.
Account Holders who plan to use WMCS resources and products must read and agree to the following:
- Code of Conduct for technical spaces
- Agreement to disclosure of personally identifiable information (which covers End-Users).
Request a Cloud VPS Project
To request a Cloud VPS Project, you will need to create a new project request on Phabricator, the Wikimedia community's technical project management tool. A Wikimedia developer account is required. Please read our guidelines for project requests before requesting a project.
Join an existing project
- Choose a project to join with OpenStack browser.
- Request membership by creating a Phabricator task and assigning it directly to the project administrator(s).
- You can find the list of project admins by going to https://openstack-browser.toolforge.org/project/<project-name>.
Create a new project
- Follow the instructions on the "Cloud-VPS (Project-requests)" phabricator task.
Add members and admin users to a project
Project admins can add new members or grant administrative permissions to members via https://horizon.wikimedia.org/project/member/
- Log at #wikimedia-cloud connect that you added/granted admin to the member.
Access an instance
See Help:Accessing Cloud VPS instances.
Learn about project instances
To learn more about project instances, read the project instances documentation.
Log your actions
It is best practice to log changes to all instances of your project.
Wikimedia Cloud Services provides a Server Admin Log for users to log their project server administration actions on.
You can add a log entry in the #wikimedia-cloud connect channel on Libera Chat by sending a message like:
!log <projectname> <message>
Communication and support
Support and administration of the WMCS resources is provided by the Wikimedia Foundation Cloud Services team and Wikimedia Movement volunteers. Please reach out with questions and join the conversation:
- Chat in real time in the IRC channel #wikimedia-cloud connect, the bridged Telegram group, or the bridged Mattermost channel
- Discuss via email after you subscribed to the cloud@ mailing list