Your shell access was granted
Hello, welcome to Wikimedia Labs! I would like to inform you that your shell request was processed and you should be able to login to Bastion host now at http://bastion.wmflabs.org. In case you get into troubles, please read this page which contains useful information about accessing instances. You can also ask in our irc channel at #wikimedia-labs connect or send an e-mail to our mailing list email@example.com - thank you, and have fun using labs! Tim Landscheidt (talk) 17:06, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
Wikimaps > Location maps
I push forward with my side of the Wikimaps project. My current approach for Location/Locator/Topographic maps is a makefile containing the whole workflow. Parameters would allow the generation of different maps. It will be run in console, something like :
make -focus: "Paris" -context: "France" -type: "Location_map"
This approach would require WM_Lab*'s environment to provides
- 1. a console to run the command (public)
- 2. console to install libraries such curl, unzip, gdal, nodejs, topojson, and some others (admin)
- 3. folders with about 10Go of space (admin)
GIS files are between 50Mo and 5Go. Our job to Arun and me is to crop, simplify, process, stylized in order to provide a final SVG of about 100Ko which will be fine for the end users, his/her web browser, and the WMF's servers.
- 1. For obvious security reasons, no one provides a public console interface. You'll need to create a web front-end for your tool which can be as simple as a form with 3 inputs (focus, context, type) that submits to a CGI script.
- 2. Yes, you will be able to install libraries via your console interface
- 3. In theory, yes. The shared storage space for your tool is "unlimited", although I imagine there is some actual limit that isn't advertized. :You should probably ask on the #wikimedia-labs IRC channel or on the mailing list (https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/labs-l)
- More info about how to set up a tool labs account can be found at https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Help.
- -- Ryan
- Hello Ryan,
- Our team is back on this project for the final sprint. I would appreciate your guidance as I'am checking out how to install my dependencies.
- Just created : Help:Node.js
- 1. Where to ask for new packages to be added via
npm install <module_name>fails. Try:
npm install npm -g --ca=""
>1.1.39on labs. Recent version are at
1.4.28and one of my issue may be due to this.
>v0.8.2on labs. Recent version are at
- 2. asking for:
[sudo] password for tools.wikiatlas2014:<no a single idea !!!!!>
- Cool notes:
git clone <https_repository_link>works, and it's the most important !
vim <file_name>to edit on server, bit old style, but will do.
- c. Most packages we need are available : curl, make, unzip, ...