PAWS: A Web Shell (PAWS) is a Jupyter notebooks deployment that has been customized to make interacting with Wikimedia wikis easier. It allows users to create and share documents that contain live code, visualizations such as graphs, rich text, etc. The user created notebooks are a powerful tool that enables data analysis and scientific research, and also transforms the way in which programmers write code - by enabling an exploratory environment with a quick feedback loop, and a low barrier for entry through it's easy to use graphical interface.
Sign in with your wiki account and tada!
- Notebook public access
- Download a raw notebook file
- Short introduction to PAWS, Notebooks and motivation: PAWS/Introduction
- Background and use cases for PAWS on Toolforge: PAWS/Tools
- More technical details: mw:Manual:Pywikibot/PAWS
- Old notes: mw:PAWS
- Proposal for a Wikimedia Foundation internal JupyterHub deployment: SWAP
- Source code
- There is a long-running query killer enforcing a limit on database queries (60 minutes will already be too much)
- https://icinga.wikimedia.org/cgi-bin/icinga/status.cgi?host=paws.wmflabs.org (access required) indicates the service's current health status in general