User:BryanDavis/WMCS techsupport task
Cloud Services Tech Support contractor task
A large part of the work done by the Tech Support role will be reading and responding to questions posed via irc chats, mailing list posts, and Phabricator tasks. This interview task is intended to give the hiring team some indication of the ability of the candidate to read and respond to these types of requests. Simulating irc conversations is hard, so we will instead focus on typical email and Phabricator requests.
- Please do not spend more than 90 minutes reading the reference materials and working on your answers to these questions.
- You may not get done with all of the questions and that is ok.
- Sometimes the correct answer will be to ask a few questions to gather more information from the reporter of the problem and then have someone else on the Cloud Services team look into it.
- I have a wikitech account, but now I want to use Toolforge to run a bot. How do I get access to Toolforge servers?
- I am running Windows and need to login to Toolforge to start a bot that I have just been added as a co-maintainer of. I followed the instructions at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial#Generate_a_new_SSH_key and created an ssh key from a Git Bash prompt, but I think I want to use WinSCP to transfer files. How do I setup WinSCP?
- I created $HOME/public_html/index.php for my tool named demo-unicorn, but when I got to https://tools.wmflabs.org/demo-unicorn/ I see a "No webservice" error page!? Why doesn't this work?
- When I try to ssh into my VM named "some-random-host.eqaid.wmflabs" and I get an error message that says "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host". What's wrong?
- How do I install https://github.com/mediawiki-utilities/python-mwxml so I can use it with my Python3 webservice running on Kubernetes?
- I was using https://tools.wmflabs.org/demo-unicorn/ and then it stopped working. Without this tool our wiki is going to be overrun by vandalism! We need it back now! Aren't you getting paid for this? You can fix it.