Tool Labs is a reliable, scalable hosting environment for community developers working on tools and bots that help users maintain and use wikis. The cloud-based infrastructure was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation and is supported by a dedicated group of Wikimedia Foundation staff and volunteers. Tool Labs is a part of the Labs project, which is designed to make it easier for developers and system administrators to try out improvements to Wikimedia infrastructure, including MediaWiki, and to do analytics and bot work.
Tip: Confused about the terms labs, tool labs etc? Read Wikimedia Labs vs Tool Labs.
The Tool Labs environment provides:
- Support for Web services, continuous bots, and scheduled tasks.
- Access to replicated production databases.
- Easily shared management of tool accounts, where tools and bots are stored.
- A grid engine for dispatching jobs.
- Support for mosh, SSH, SFTP without complicated proxy setup.
- A shared pywikibot installation.
- Version control via Gerrit and Git.
- Support for Redis.
In general, every tool maintainer should work primarily on the Tools project (not Toolsbeta, which is for experiments to the Tool Labs environment itself).
After filling in the form, your request will then show up in the queue above, and will be processed shortly by one of the Tool Labs administrators.
Tools Resources Overview
- Getting started (in-depth)
- Getting started (for toolserver users)
- Phabricator (project Tool-Labs; report a bug/feature request)
- Service group (tool) interface - create service groups (tools) and add users to them
tools-login: Help:SSH Fingerprints/tools-login.wmflabs.org
Server admin log
- 14:17 chasemp: nova reboot 64f01f90-c805-4a2e-9ed5-f523b909094e (grid master)
- 23:21 YuviPanda: restart maintain-kubeusers on tools-k8s-master-01, was stuck on connecting to seaborgium preventing new tool creation
- 01:56 YuviPanda: deploy kubernetes v1.3.3wmf1
- 17:30 YuviPanda: repool tools-worker-1018
- 14:04 chasemp: reboot tools-worker-1015 as stuck w/ high iowait warning seconds ago. I cannot ssh in as root.
- 22:42... (more)
Instances for this project
|FQDN||Instance Type||Image Id||Public IP||Number of CPUs||RAM Size||Amount of Storage||Modification dateThis property is a special property in this wiki.|
|Tools-docker-builder-01.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.3-jessie (deprecated 2016-06-13)||8||16,384||160||25 July 2016 21:06:13|
|Tools-grid-master.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||1||2,048||20||25 July 2016 15:01:33|
|Tools-k8s-etcd-02.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.2-jessie||1||2,048||20||23 July 2016 22:00:17|
|Tools-worker-1015.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.5-jessie||4||8,192||80||22 July 2016 15:02:07|
|Tools-worker-1018.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.5-jessie||4||8,192||80||21 July 2016 23:02:10|
|Tools-k8s-etcd-01.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.2-jessie||1||2,048||20||20 July 2016 22:02:30|
|Tools-worker-1004.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.1-jessie||4||8,192||80||20 July 2016 12:02:00|
|Tools-flannel-etcd-03.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.2-jessie||1||2,048||20||18 July 2016 14:00:27|
|Tools-worker-1017.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.5-jessie||4||8,192||80||15 July 2016 15:00:17|
|Tools-worker-1016.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.5-jessie||4||8,192||80||15 July 2016 15:00:08|
|Tools-exec-1402.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||22.214.171.124||4||8,192||80||15 July 2016 11:00:35|
|Tools-webgrid-lighttpd-1412.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||4||8,192||80||15 July 2016 11:00:30|
|Tools-webgrid-lighttpd-1402.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||4||8,192||80||15 July 2016 11:00:17|
|Tools-worker-1014.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.5-jessie||4||8,192||80||13 July 2016 15:02:24|
|Tools-flannel-etcd-02.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.2-jessie||1||2,048||20||13 July 2016 15:01:15|
|Tools-prometheus-01.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.5-jessie||8||16,384||160||13 July 2016 13:00:08|
|Tools-worker-1012.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||debian-8.3-jessie||4||8,192||80||13 July 2016 13:00:04|
|Tools-exec-1201.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||4||8,192||80||12 July 2016 21:01:20|
|Tools-web-static-02.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||4||8,192||80||8 July 2016 13:00:55|
|Tools-exec-1216.tools.eqiad.wmflabs||126.96.36.199||4||8,192||80||7 July 2016 04:12:42|
|… further results|