|This page may be outdated or contain incorrect details. Please update it if you can.|
This is the roadmap for the beta cluster.
The roadmap is maintained from time to time following checkin meetings.
Each entry should have a corresponding bug in bugzilla "Wikimedia Labs" > "deployment-prep (beta)".
being worked on
- bug 49779 [Ariel] - VisualEditor corpus of articles for parser round trips and Selenium tests.
- restructure media storage setup to be more like production [Ariel]
- HIGH: setup monitoring for beta components (apacke/db/disk..) much like production
- HIGH import articles from production (based on dumps?)
- There is already a script copying some CSS from enwiki to enwiki.beta. Script in puppet*
- Use case: let Twinkle developers try out their gadget against latest master of mediawiki.
- Auto importing would be overriding possible changes made on the wikis.
- Possible disk space issues when importing lot of articles on a daily basis.
- Import should NOT be done with Special:Import or maintenance/ImportDump.php. Not reliable.
- Should use one of the 3 alternatives: mwdumper (java), mwimport (perl), mwxml2sql (c)
- Importer might break on MediaWiki DB schema change.
- clean up unused instances
- Elimination of shared storage
- As of September 2013: Lucid + MySQL. We have two masters
1) deployment-sql.pmtpa.wmflabs : almost all wikis 2) deployment-sql02.pmtpa.wmflabs wikivoyage + maybe a few more
- Graphite would be super nice. Reach out to Asher?
- Different versions of extensions
- As of September 2013: tip of master only.
- Discussion among mw core team: people should use feature flags.
- Make sure all uids across beta instances are consistent
- public IPs of instances not reachable from other instances (generally for labs) bug 37985 bug 45868
- Reuse the same apaches configuration files as in production
- Phase out the squid based text cache Done.
- make purging work [Antoine]
- search: deployed on beta by Chad + Nik with ElasticSearch and mw ext CirrusSearch. CirrusSearch is the extention that implements ElasticSearch on MW: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CirrusSearch