We use the heck out of freenode. We sometimes need to add people to channel access lists, give them privileges, etc. Here's a quickie cheat sheet. See m:IRC/Instructions#Instructions for channel ops for more.
Wikimedia used to host a freenode server: dickson.freenode.net.
Becoming ops in a channel
/msg chanserv op #channelnamehere
/msg chanserv deop #channelnamehere when you are done doing ops things.
Check the access list for a channel
/msg chanserv access #channelnamehere list
Add someone to an access list with a pile of rights
You probably want to give someone what everyone else in the list has. Here's an example though:
/msg chanserv access #channelnamehere add nicknamehere +votsriRfA
Invite someone to a channel (permanently)
This will allow someone to join an invite-only channel. You should use
/whois nick to look at how their nick is currently set and use that as the template for the command.
/mode #mediawiki_security +I nick(or *)!*@* (or cloak)
Invite someone to a list temporarily
From within the channel itself:
Ban someone from a channel
/mode #channelnamehere +b *!*@hostnamehere
You can use wildcards in place of part of the hostname.
Some of those flags
(Stolen from [oxin.jottit.com/freenode_chanserv_commands])
- +v - Enables use of the voice/devoice commands.
- +V - Enables automatic voice.
- +o - Enables use of the op/deop commands.
- +O - Enables automatic op.
- +s - Enables use of the set command.
- +i - Enables use of the invite and getkey commands.
- +r - Enables use of the kick, ban, and kickban commands.
- +R - Enables use of the recover and clear commands.
- +f - Enables modification of channel access lists.
- +t - Enables use of the topic and topicappend commands.
- +A - Enables viewing of channel access lists.
- +F - Grants full founder access.
- +b - Enables automatic kickban.