You are probably reading wikitech right now
Wikitech runs on the eqiad host 'silver'. The mediawiki install is updated automatically as part of standard WMF deployment. Nevertheless, it differs from a vanilla wiki in several ways:
- Silver runs Ubuntu Trusty, but wikitech is hosted with standard Apache and php5, /not/ hhvm.
- Images are hosted in a non-standard location: /srv/org/wikimedia/controller/wikis/images/
- Auth on wikitech uses ldap accounts
- A successful login on wikitech requires a token from Openstack Keystone in the labs cluster (currently Keystone runs on virt1000)
- Wikitech runs the latest version of OpenStackManager for control of Labs.
- Wikitech runs a very out-of-date version of SemanticMediaWiki
There are some MediaWiki config settings that are entirely exclusive to wikitech. These are set in a special .php config file: /srv/mediawiki/wmf-config/wikitech.php
In addition to normal ways to break (that any server or mw install is subject to), wikitech has a few additional failure cases due to relying on ldap and keystone. If login is failing, turn on the ldap+auth log by uncommenting some lines in /srv/mediawiki/wmf-config/wikitech.php:
#$wgPasswordReminderResendTime = 0; #$wgPasswordAttemptThrottle = false; #$wgShowExceptionDetails = true; $wgLDAPDebug = 5; $wgDebugLogGroups["ldap"] = "/tmp/ldap-s-1-debug.log";
With that change, /tmp/ldap-s-1-debug.log will fill up with useful info, and you should be able to determine if ldap is breaking, or Keystone, or something else. wikitech.php will revert to its standard commented-out state during the next deploy cycle.
When you connect to silver, don't forget that it's a public box so can be reached at silver.wikimedia.org, not silver.eqiad.wmnet (but still via a bastion).