This page contains historical information. It is probably no longer true.
How do you know if you need to request a schema change? If you are changing anything in how the database is setup (columns, tables, column types, etc), you need to use this process.
- All schema changes must be optional for your code; schema changes can take a while to propagate across the entire WMF cluster so your code should not depend on them.
- All schema changes must be reviewed by DB Ops and/or Platform Engineering.
- To get your schema change reviewed, open a ticket in Phabricator with all pertinent information.
- Please create your ticket as soon as possible as it can take time to review and deploy the change, working around other Deployments.
- We use a tracking ticket in Phabricator to list all schema change tickets.