- 1 What is planet?
- 2 How do i access it?
- 3 Which languages exist?
- 4 New planet (planet-venus)
- 5 Where should i report issues?
- 6 Where does it run?
- 7 Where's the code?
- 8 How are planets being updated?
- 9 How do i add/remove feed URLs?
- 10 How do i change HTML of the index pages?
- 11 How do i add/change translations in the index pages or add a new language?
- 12 How do i request changes if i can't or don't want to submit a change set myself?
- 13 Are there more general docs on planet-venus and it's architecture?
What is planet?
An RSS feed aggregator. See meta:Planet_Wikimedia for details.
How do i access it?
en.planet.wikimedia.org and several other languages, *.planet.wikimedia.org.
Which languages exist?
The current list of languages is:
- Arabic / العربية
- Catalan / Català
- Czech / Česky
- German / Deutsch
- Spanish / Español
- French / Français
- Indonesian / Bahasa Indonesia
- Italian / Italiano
- Japanese / 日本語
- Polish / Polski
- Portuguese / Português
- Romanian / Română
- Russian / Русский
- Serbian / Српски / srpski
- Chinese / 中文
How to add a new language?
Make a change in the operations/puppet repo in ./manifests/role/planet.pp. You'll see the existing examples.
New planet (planet-venus)
What's better about the new planet?
- It's packaged in Ubuntu. (planet-venus), the old planet was not packaged.
- It's fully puppetized, the old planet was all manual.
- It uses git. People adding feed URLs can just send Gerrit patchsets. The old planet used SVN.
- It's a complete rewrite of the old code in Python. It uses more modern technology like html5lib, Atom, XSLT and Django templates.
- It's IPv6-enabled.
- It's SSL-enabled. You can now use https://<lang>.planet.wikimedia.org
- Apache site config is separate for each language and generated from language hash in puppet
What may not be better about the new planet (yet)?
- The "gmq" planet, which is a combo of Scandinavian languages does not have separate index pages in each language yet.
- Some CSS/layout/design issues, like localized logo in Arabic or right-to-left alignment of thumbnails. (Arabic does already use a separate CSS file though and has the sidebar on the right hand side)
- It does not include iframes (this might be considered a good thing though)
Where should i report issues?
Where does it run?
Where's the code?
In git, in the operations/puppet repo:
- git clone https://github.com/rubys/venus.git
How are planets being updated?
Puppet creates cron jobs, running as user "planet".
crontab -u planet -l example: 0 0 * * * /usr/bin/planet -v /usr/share/planet-venus/wikimedia/de/config.ini > /var/log/planet/de-planet.log 2>&1
There is also /var/lib/planet/update-planets to update all planets at once. run with sudo -u planet though to not mess up permissions on log files.
How do i add/remove feed URLs?
- Clone the operations/puppet git repository.
- go to ./puppet/templates/planet/ and edit one of the <language>_config.erb files
- submit to gerrit and have somebody merge it
How do i change HTML of the index pages?
- see above, edit ./puppet/templates/planet/index.html.tmpl.erb
How do i add/change translations in the index pages or add a new language?
- see above, edit ./puppet/manifests/role/planet.pp (find $planet_languages=...)