Obsolete:Toolserver/Add a new system user
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page describes how to add a new system user. Do not use this procedure for adding hemlock users!
- Put the user's ssh public key in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on each host (root users only)
- Log in to the directory editor
- Go to Create, User, and enter ou=People,dc=ts,dc=wikimedia,dc=org as the parent DN. Click "continue".
- Go to the Extensions tab and make the user a "UNIX User"
- Go back to "Quick Create" and enter the user's details. Say 10 for the gid, and an unused uid for the uid. Then go to 'Common Attributes' and give them a password.
- Click "save"
- For a root user:
- The user should log into a machine as root, run 'kadmin -p root/admin', then 'addprinc <username>' to set a Kerberos password.
- For a normal user:
- You should run 'kadmin -p root/admin' and create the principle. Tell the user his password.
- Create the user's home directory: mkdir /home/username; chown username:staff /home/username