Wikidata Topicmaps UI
This labs project provides users the functionality they need to build personal views, so called Topic Maps, based on #wikidata. The so called Wikidata Topicmaps UI is an alternate user-interface allowing to search, explore and map the 'shared structures of meaning' (J. Murray, New Media Reader) in #wikidata. We established this service to empower researchers, users and developers of wikidata - and other - communities worldwide.
Serving the dm4-wikidata plugin to end-users.
Anticipated traffic level
0-10 hits per day
Anticipated time span
Willing to take contributors or not
Subject area narrow or broad
broad ui, wikidata
What can I do with it?
- Query wikidata by text for "items" and "properties"
- Navigate relations of "items" along "claims" and "properties" to "items" (and other "data")
- Create personal and structured visualizations based on wikidata search results with free placement on an infinite canvas
- Share these with others as interactiveTopic Maps in the world wide web, they will be read-only for guests
How can I do that?
- Open: the Wikidata Topicmaps UI (URL: http://wikidata-topicmaps.wmflabs.org), register yourself a username and log in
- Create: a new "Topicmap" for yourself and use the "Wikidata Search"-Mode (via "By Text")
- Search: Select the "Wikidata Search" from the "By Text"-Menu and start querying wikidata
- Look around: Choose a "Wikidata Item" from your (or any other) search results and load all it's relations to other wikidata items through triggering the "Import claims" topic command
- Reveal: related wikidata of interest and create personal views, so called Topic Maps, that interest you
- Edit: wikidata items trhough revealing their "URL"-Topic directly within DeepaMehta 4 and firing the "Open URL" topic command
In the following webpage you see a "Topicmap" which renders a "Wikidata Search Bucket", a couple of "Wikidata Entities" (of type=item), "Wikidata Claims" and an "Intro" explaining what you can do with this web service client for the moment:
After a first hands-on session with two wikidata-developers it became apparent that looking at wikidata through this UI can provide new views onto actual wiki-data through allowing users to explore any "item" on-demand along its relations. Furthermore it gives us a look at "properties" which the various communities use (in their resp. language) to express relations between "items", "items" and other "data".
Please try it out and give us direct feedback at http://trac.deepamehta.de or by posting to the firstname.lastname@example.org - http://lists.deepamehta.de/mailman/listinfo/users-lists.deepamehta.de
Research & Development
We documented the research and development which led us to realize this project in the DeepaMehta Community Trac at https://trac.deepamehta.de/wiki/WikidataSearchPlugin%20 and will keep that up-to-date.
The source code of this project is available at: https://github.com/mukil/dm4-wikidata and was
DeepaMehta e.V., http://www.deepamehta.org