Redirects is intended to provide HTTP redirects for well known URLs that used to be hosted on Cloud VPS projects but are now running on Toolforge or other Wikimedia servers.
Redirects should not be made to servers that are not under Wikimedia control. Automatically redirecting to external servers without an interstitial warning to the end user is a potential privacy violation.
Requesting a new redirect
Creating a new redirect
- Edit the Hiera configuration to add the proxied host and new destination to the
- Force a puppet run on redirects-nginx01.redirects.eqiad.wmflabs to create the new vhost.
- Use Horizon to delete the proxy from the Cloud VPS project that is giving it up.
- Use Horizon to add the proxy to the redirects project with
http://redirects-nginx01.redirects.eqiad.wmflabs:80as the backend.
- Test the redirected URL to ensure that it all works.
Server admin log
- 16:08 bd808: Fixed broken /etc/puppet/puppet.conf on redirects-nginx01.redirects.eqiad.wmflabs
- 20:18 bd808: Manually fixed broken /etc/puppet/puppet.conf on redirects-nginx01
- 15:37 andrewbogott: moving project to eqiad1-r