MRTG  is a polling tool (usually through snmp) that generate html pages and pictures.
Gwicke did most of the mrtg configuration. All files are somewhere /home/wikipedia/htdocs/wikimedia/stats/live/ , cron job is run in gwicke's personal crontab (somewhere in /var/spool/crontab/ ).
Some shell scripts are used as well:
- seems to generate config files using browne's one as a base.
- prepare aggregate view per week based on the per day one.
- build the page for each squid.
The old system is a bit hard to manage when new squids are added or removed. The idea is to use the dsh file that list squids to easily regenerate all configuration. Also logs / html / png should be split to avoid having a directory with thousand files.
Idea is to just have to update the dsh file, run a script and bam mrtg graphs for the squids are updated and live.
New system is in /home/wikipedia/htdocs/wikimedia/mrtg/ :
- shell scripts to build the various configuration files
- template and all configuration file generated
- Output logs of mrtg split per configuration file
Automaticly generated by the MRTG script:
- HTML pages
- Round robin log file
- temp files used by scripts
New system is not coded yet. Hashar is (nov. 3rd) working on it.