Incident documentation/2021-10-08 network provider
document status: in-review
At around 16:11 UTC our (non-paging) monitoring and users reported connectivity issues to and from our eqiad site.
Traceroutes showed a routing loop in a provider's network.
At 16:19 UTC, using their APIs, we asked that provider to stop advertising the prefixes for that site on our behalf.
at 16:24 UTC, the first reports of recoveries arrived as the change propagated through the DFZ
Unfortunately, due to the preponderance of the eqiad impact and its recovery, we didn't notice that it also impacted users from Russia to reach the wikis through esams. We also didn't receive any NEL reports from most Russia users until 16:24 or later, as the site they use for NELs is itself eqiad.
At around 17:15 UTC, our monitoring shows a full recovery, indicating the issue being resolved upstream.
- United States east coast partial connectivity outage for 13min, as this provider is one of the many we use in the region
- Russia, partial connectivity outage for 1h, as this provider is one of the many we use in the region (eg. we peer directly with Rostelecom)
Staff and community members connecting directly to services in eqiad (eg. gerrit). Due to the span of this provider's network, the further a user is from eqiad the more likely they will be using that provider and could be impacted.